The Baltimore Ravens have begun to get down to the required 53 players well in advanced of Saturday’s 4 p.m. deadline.
The Ravens official Twitter page made the announcement earlier today that the team has waived the first five players ahead of the tomorrow’s deadline.
The Ravens are now down to 70 players and the future of 17 more is still unknown for the next 24 hours.
None of the cuts come as real surprises, but there is one name that stands out. Wide receiver Daniel Brown had a phenomenal final preseason game, blocking a punt and catching a touchdown pass on the ensuing drive. He also had a nice touchdown grab in the game against the Philadelphia Eagles. He does have a shot to make the practice squad, unless another team around the league was impressed with his play over the preseason and adds them to their 53-man roster.
The decision to also release Tom Nelson leaves the Ravens with seven wide outs: Steve Smith Sr., Breshad Perriman, Kamar Aiken, Marlon Brown, Darren Waller, Michael Campanaro and Jeremy Butler. If I was a betting man, it’s Butler that’s likely on his way out after a lackluster preseason.
Quinton Porter was in the mix for one of the final cornerback positions, but the team will go with Asa Jackson, Cassius Vaughn and Tray Walker as the reserve corners behind Jimmy Smith, Lardarius Webb and Kyle Arrington.
More from Baltimore Ravens
- Baltimore Ravens: Will this be Breshad Perriman’s last game as a Raven?
- Baltimore Ravens: Why RG3 Will Not Make the Ravens’ 53-Man Roster
- Baltimore Ravens have to make a decision on resting key offensive players
- Baltimore Ravens Cornerback Situation With Jimmy Smith Likely Suspended
- Top 5 Baltimore Ravens to Get on Your Fantasy Football Team
Jackson was a long shot to make the team as a corner, but had the opportunity to make the team as a kick returner. He might have hurt his chances of making the team last night when he fumbled a punt return that led to a Falcons touchdown. This comes after muffing a punt last week against the Eagles.
The front office and coaching staff still have decisions to make along the offensive and defensive lines. With Lorenzo Taliaferro out because of a MCL sprain, what running backs stick around? John Harbaugh still needs to figure out who will return kicks, and that guy might not be on the roster right now. Things are going to happen quickly over the next 24 to 48 hours.
Stay with us at The Baltimore Wire for updates as the Ravens get down to the 53 players who will head to Denver for the Week 1 matchup against Peyton Manning and the Broncos.
More from The Baltimore Wire
- What other Baltimore Orioles Offseason Storylines will you be interested in seeing?
- Baltimore Orioles to Face Numerous Playoff Contenders Down the Stretch
- Baltimore Orioles Showing Encouraging Signs During Recent Wins
- The Baltimore Orioles and the Expanded September Roster
- Maryland Football: Terps honor Jordan McNair, beat Longhorns 34-29