The Baltimore Ravens have began making cuts already in anticipation of tomorrow’s 4 p.m. deadline to get rosters down to 75 players.
The most notable name to get cut thus far is wide receiver DeAndre Carter. Many believed the undrafted rookie from Sacramento State had a chance to make the roster as a kick returner, but he failed to impress when give opportunities. We named him one of our sleepers to make the roster, but that did not pan out.
Here is the total list of players to be cut so far:
More from Baltimore Ravens
- Baltimore Ravens: Will this be Breshad Perriman’s last game as a Raven?
- Baltimore Ravens: Why RG3 Will Not Make the Ravens’ 53-Man Roster
- Baltimore Ravens have to make a decision on resting key offensive players
- Baltimore Ravens Cornerback Situation With Jimmy Smith Likely Suspended
- Top 5 Baltimore Ravens to Get on Your Fantasy Football Team
- G Leon Brown (Alabama)
- WR DeAndre Carter (Sacramento State)
- CB Tramain Jacobs (Texas A&M)
- OG Marcel Jones (Nebraska)
- P Justin Manton (Louisiana Monroe)
- WR Aldrick Robinson (Southern Methodist)
- LS Patrick Scales (Utah State)
- WR Trent Steelman (Army)
Most of the names above were expected cuts. Carter was the only one of three receivers to be released that had an outside shot of making the roster. The Ravens have established players in Sam Koch and Morgan Cox on their special teams and Manton and Scales knew they had little chance to make it. The cuts along the offensive line are a bit of a surprise because of the number of injuries that unit is facing, but the fact is there just isn’t enough roster space to keep them all.
While Carter is the biggest name out for the Ravens, it’s hardly a big deal around the league. Some teams have parted ways with some talented players. The Bills have let Fred Jackson go. Chicago has released Tim Jennings. Ryan Broyles was a second-round pick for the Detroit Lions, but waste time packing today. Over the course of the next few days, there will be more high profile names that could be added to the list of free agents.
The Ravens still have seven more cuts to make before tomorrow’s deadline and there will be some interesting decisions to make. They still have players that they can move to injured reserve or the physically unable to perform list to lower the number.
All teams are required to be down to 75 players by 4 p.m. tomorrow and cut down to 53 by Saturday, Sept. 5 at 4 p.m. Last week, we predicted our 53-man roster for the Ravens opener against the Denver Broncos.
Stay with us at The Baltimore Wire for continued updates on the Ravens personnel moves.
More from The Baltimore Wire
- What other Baltimore Orioles Offseason Storylines will you be interested in seeing?
- Baltimore Orioles to Face Numerous Playoff Contenders Down the Stretch
- Baltimore Orioles Showing Encouraging Signs During Recent Wins
- The Baltimore Orioles and the Expanded September Roster
- Maryland Football: Terps honor Jordan McNair, beat Longhorns 34-29