The Baltimore Ravens announced today that they have placed running back Lorenzo Taliaferro on injured reserve with his foot injury, which will end his season prematurely. The team claimed Raheem Mostert off waivers from the Miami Dolphins, who the released him on Tuesday, to take Taliaferro’s spot on the roster.
The news of Taliaferro being shut down for the season comes as a shocker as he was listed as probable heading into the game Sunday against the Cleveland Browns. He was inactive for the game, but no one expected that the second-year back would not play another game this season.
More from Baltimore Ravens
- Baltimore Ravens: Will this be Breshad Perriman’s last game as a Raven?
- Baltimore Ravens: Why RG3 Will Not Make the Ravens’ 53-Man Roster
- Baltimore Ravens have to make a decision on resting key offensive players
- Baltimore Ravens Cornerback Situation With Jimmy Smith Likely Suspended
- Top 5 Baltimore Ravens to Get on Your Fantasy Football Team
Taliaferro played in three games this season as the primary backup to Justin Forsett. The news of Taliaferro not playing for the rest of the year comes at a time where the Ravens are unsure if Forsett will play in Week 6 due to a ankle injury. He will finish the season with 47 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries.
The injury creates an opportunity for rookie Javorius Allen to step up as the top backup to Forsett. Allen had his best game of the year on Sunday, led by a 44-yard scamper that set the Ravens up to take a 21-9 lead over the Browns. He finished with eight carries for 58 yards on the day.
The Dolphins were hopeful that Mostert would be be signed to the practice squad upon clearing waivers, but the Ravens needed his services with Taliaferro being shut down for the remainder of the season. The undrafted rookie had an impressive preseason with the Philadelphia Eagles, and could have a future in the NFL as a return man and backup running back. He was active for the Dolphins in Week 2, returning two kicks, but hasn’t been in the active roster for the last two games.
Forsett did not practice today and the Ravens could enter Sunday’s game with Allen and Mostert as the top running backs when they travel to face the San Francisco 49ers this week.
More from The Baltimore Wire
- What other Baltimore Orioles Offseason Storylines will you be interested in seeing?
- Baltimore Orioles to Face Numerous Playoff Contenders Down the Stretch
- Baltimore Orioles Showing Encouraging Signs During Recent Wins
- The Baltimore Orioles and the Expanded September Roster
- Maryland Football: Terps honor Jordan McNair, beat Longhorns 34-29