No. 89 Has Still Got It
Sep 20, 2015; Oakland, CA, USA; Baltimore Ravens receiver Steve Smith (89) attempts to catch a pass in the first quarter against the Oakland Raiders at O.co Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
One of few bright spots for the Ravens on Sunday came from Steve Smith Sr. The 15-year veteran hauled in 10 passes for 150 yards.
More from Baltimore Ravens
- Baltimore Ravens: Will this be Breshad Perriman’s last game as a Raven?
- Baltimore Ravens: Why RG3 Will Not Make the Ravens’ 53-Man Roster
- Baltimore Ravens have to make a decision on resting key offensive players
- Baltimore Ravens Cornerback Situation With Jimmy Smith Likely Suspended
- Top 5 Baltimore Ravens to Get on Your Fantasy Football Team
Smith was targeted 16 times in Oakland, which goes to show just how important he is to this offense. With Breshad Perriman still nursing an injury, Smith is the go-to option at wide receiver. Smith, for the most part, had his way with the young Raiders’ defensive backs.
It will be interesting to see if Smith will be able to handle a high volume of targets on a consistent basis at this juncture in his career. He may have to though, as the Ravens lack a reliable deep threat weapon.
Father Time hasn’t caught up with Smith just yet. We know it’s coming, but for Baltimore’s sake, we hope it’s not anytime soon. Without Smith, Sunday’s game is not even close.