Sep 5, 2015; College Park, MD, USA; Maryland Terrapins head coach Randy Edsall reacts to a call on the field against the Richmond Spiders at Byrd Stadium. Maryland won the game 50-21. Mandatory Credit: Derik Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports
Randy Edsall gave Maryland football fans a few things to be happy about during his tenure.
After the sudden firing of Ralph Friedgen in December 2010, Maryland’s newly appointed athletic director, Kevin Anderson, set out to make his first big hire in hopes of taking Maryland Terrapins football to the next level.
On January 2, 2011, Randy Edsall was named the new head coach of the Maryland Terrapins football program. He came to Maryland after being named the Big East Coach of the Year in 2010 and having led Connecticut to it’s first ever BCS bowl game appearance.
I’m sure Kevin Anderson believed Edsall’s success in taking a Division I-AA school and making them a Division I-A contender in the BCS would continue in College Park.
Unfortunately, we all know how the story ends.
Randy Edsall was relieved of his coaching duties on October 11.
Even though this relationship between Maryland and Edsall never quite matured, we still were treated to a few great memories over the past five seasons that all Terp fans can and should be proud of.
Next: #5 - Maryland Pride
More from The Baltimore Wire
- What other Baltimore Orioles Offseason Storylines will you be interested in seeing?
- Baltimore Orioles to Face Numerous Playoff Contenders Down the Stretch
- Baltimore Orioles Showing Encouraging Signs During Recent Wins
- The Baltimore Orioles and the Expanded September Roster
- Maryland Football: Terps honor Jordan McNair, beat Longhorns 34-29