Maryland Terrapins Hold Off Oklahoma State to Get First Road Win


The Maryland Terrapins went in to Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Oklahoma looking to get their first road win of the season. They were able to come out with it, but not without a fight. The final score was 73-64 with Maryland on top when it was all said and done, but Oklahoma State’s defensive pressure affected the Terps.

The Cowboys started the game wanting to put pressure on freshman guard Melo Trimble. Their strategy worked, causing five turnovers in the first half for the Terps with two of them coming by way of steals.

The Terps had the three-point shot working for them in the first half, as 18 of their 32 points were three balls on 6-14 shooting in the first half. With the score tied at 13, a Le’Bryan Nash jumper at the top of the key ended an Oklahoma State run. After that, Oklahoma State’s defense suffocated the Terps, as they did not score until 7:35 was left in the half, finally ending the scoreless stretch thanks to a free throw made by Richaud Pack. The score at this point was 16-14 Cowboys.

Evan Smotrycz scored five straight points for the Terps on a deep three-point shot and a two-handed slam, which put the Terps up 19-18. With 1:58 left in the first half, the Terps held a 29-22 lead. However, they only scored three points the rest of the way, at one point allowing a 5-0 run.

The score at halftime was 32-27, Maryland in the lead. Despite Oklahoma State’s pressure on Melo Trimble, he had 10 points, four rebounds and two steals. Junior forward Jake Layman had five points and five rebounds at the half.

The Terps needed to be aware of Michael Cobbins defensively, and he had three of his four blocks in the first half in addition to four points and three rebounds. Le’Bryan Nash and Phil Forte III combined for 19 of the Cowboys’ 27 points.

The Terps came out of the half firing on all cylinders with a three pointer coming from freshman guard Jared Nickens followed by a steal and fast break layup by Layman, putting the Terps up 10, 37-27. The Terps biggest lead was 15 at the 17 minute mark, and Oklahoma State felt the pressure, calling a timeout with the score at 45-30.

With under five minutes to go, the lead was still in the Terps favor, 62-51, when Oklahoma State started showing pressure. At the 2:09 mark, the score was 65-56, as Oklahoma State was pushing to make a come back and had the crowd behind them. They had hope after a turnover by Maryland and a made three pointer in transition by Anthony Hickey, which brought the Cowboys within six, 67-61, with 53 seconds left in the game. After another turnover by Maryland and two free throws by Trimble, Phil Forte III knocked in a three from way downtown, making the score 69-64 with 12.9 seconds left in the game.

The game ended on four free throws made by Melo Trimble and Richaud Pack, the Terps taking home the victory 73-64. Good news for them: They are now 1-0 away from the Comcast Center, they could get back Dez Wells in their December 27 game at home against the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, and if all goes well, they’ll be winners of six straight games if they can beat Michigan State in their first Big Ten conference game December 30.

Layman had a double-double in this game, scoring 21 points and bringing down 11 rebounds in addition to his three steals and two assists. Melo Trimble had 15 points, four assists, four rebounds and two steals in addition to being a spotless seven-for-seven at the free throw line. Jared Nickens chipped in 11 points and was three for six from behind the three-point line.

Next: Ravens vs Texans: What We Learned