The Orioles and Ravens have each seen their share of problems lately. But is it a real concern? Lets review each:
– Ray Rice. His altercation with his wife is embarrassing. And he may be guilty of far more than what was shown on that famous Atlantic City video. But let us be realistic. The actual “on paper” crime is considered pretty small. He will get a small suspension and this whole thing will be done. The “squeaky clean” life Ray Rice had before the incident must be put on track, as well as showing that he can run again. That last piece is probably the more difficult.
– The next biggest incident in local sports was Manny Machado and his general attitude and the specific bat-throwing incident. No, he was not arrested like the others on the list, but the light is shown just as bright for an on-the-field incident, maybe even brighter. Sure his attitude has been poor, but we also tend to blame baseball players for not showing enough emotion. The Orioles just need to get him to tone it back and all is good. Let him use the five games off a time for reflection and to rest for the season ahead.
– It is always troubling to see a Ravens player arrested. It is even more troubling to see a promising rookie who has not even played a game yet get arrested. Lorenzo Taliaferro is still to be considered innocent for the taxi window smashing incident. He may not even make the team as no one has seen him in a real game situation. So just hold on for this one.
– Aside from Ray Rice, the most troubling of all the player problems has been Jah Reid‘s two misdemeanor counts of battery following an altercation at a strip club in Key West, Fla. He still has an upcoming June 13 court date. Seen as already being on the bubble, Reid chose poorly during this incident. If you are a big-time player, try and stay away from a place called the Red Garter Saloon. Nothing good happens there.
– Deonte Thompson had been arrested and charged with felony possession of marijuana back in February. Apparently the case has been dismissed as another person driving in the car with Thompson took credit for owning the marijuana. Truthfully, with as much press on legalization of marijuana that is seen nowadays this incident needs to be forgotten. Deonte needs to keep clean as he is not certain of any job on the Ravens. But as a fan, don’t worry much about this one.
So do the Orioles and Ravens need to worry?
But they also can only do so much as adults can and will do as many foolish things as kids can and will.
And as a fan, just hold on; there will ALWAYS be something else to worry about.