Orioles Offseason Is Not A Failure

Credit: Joy R. Absalon-USA TODAY Sports

The Baltimore Orioles have had a very quiet offseason but despite what most are thinking, I am perfectly content with the approach. Would I have liked to see them go out and really contend for one of the five-star free agents? Sure. But that’s not the Orioles. It’s not in their DNA.

I look at it as they are maintaining their recent success and have faith in the current roster to improve upon that success. Look at the Rays for instance. They made the World Series in 2008 and have consistently been able to contend in the AL East ever since. Even more impressive is they have done so without going out and dropping big money on any free agent. There’s no reason the Birds can’t model that type of success.

It looks as though the organization is very close to signing A.J. Burnett so that would be a good addition for the rotation. If we look at the rest of the rotation, there is a solid group of guys to take the hill. If Wei-Yin Chen can stay healthy all year and if Chris Tillman can replicate the wins he had from last year, we have a solid group of pitchers.

The one thing that is going to make the team better this year is execution. Last year, there were too many times I watched us ground out into a double play after loading the bases. Or get a lead-off double just to strike out twice in a row without getting the base runner over to third.  There were a lot of times where the Orioles just did not execute and get the “Orioles Magic” like we saw in 2012. If we can execute small-ball, situational hitting better, we will win more games.

I know it is hard to trust Peter Angelos after what he has done to the organization and what he has put us through in the past couple of decades, but give the man some, if even just a little bit of credit. He brought in Andy McPhail, who looking back on everything brought in a lot of really great talent to Baltimore. Then came the hiring of Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter who have lead us to two consecutive winning seasons.

We’ve been able to do so much with so little in these past two years and I don’t want to see any drastic changes derail what we have built. This team is built off of trades and our minor league system. Would you rather us be able to contend building our team by small, smart, and economical moves or become another version of the Yankees and just buy whatever we needed?

I understand there are needs right now. There is a huge question mark in left field and at closer. In my opinion, being a closer is somewhat overrated. Unless if you’re Mariano Rivera or a select few of other closers, there is no longevity in the position anymore. But the fact that we are going into a year where we should contend again for the playoffs with only a couple of question marks doesn’t concern me.

The front office will make the necessary moves and get what we need by the trade deadline. So I am asking you from one Orioles fan to another, please don’t jump ship. Please don’t slam this front office and say they have done nothing but sit on their hands. They are the ones that have made baseball relevant again in Baltimore. They have helped put fans back into the seats at Camden Yards again. This front office is smarter than what most are giving credit for. Give them a chance and enjoy the season.

Topics: Baltimore Orioles

Want more from The Baltimore Wire?
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.

8 Comments on Orioles Offseason Is Not A Failure

1. John says:

Another apologist for the worst owner in MLB over the past 20 years? We lost a starting pitcher, the closer, the 2nd baseman and the left fielder and won 85 games WITH those guys and NOW we’re a better team? Weiters will be traded before the deadline “because the team is building for next year”. BS. I’ve been an O’s fan my whole life and have NEVER been as disappointed in the organization as I am now.

• Randy Buchman says:

Well John, way to welcome my new guy on staff… his first article. You are like the leadoff hitter taking him 450′ into the upper deck on his first pitch rookie year. It is almost like having two points scored off you just 12 seconds into the Super Bowl when you center snaps the ball over your head. I’m not as optimistic as my new fellow here, but I’m not as pessimistic as you; yet I acknowledge there is evidence to support your concerns. I do think this team is good enough, as constructed, to compete at a high level. If winning the offseason translated into winning the regular season, the Blue Jays would have been the 2013 AL East champs. But more than anything, thanks for being a reader …….. Randy

• John says:

Hi Randy,

I wasn’t taking a swipe at your writer; I just feel compelled to call out ANYBODY who tries to protect the loathsome owner. I AM a life long O’s fan which means my DNA is in the team, I have no choice: I’M AN ORIOLE FAN NO MATTER WHAT, and I’m a little pissed off right now.

Thanks for listening,

John

• Randy Buchman says:

I understand. Believe me that none of us know P.A. and have no investment in protecting him. And we have no special access to the team to protect by just being nice. As I wrote recently, I’ve been surprised at how even some writers who do work from the inside have taken on a critical tone on this theme recently. And I’m going to post tomorrow some additional thoughts from FanFest comments by DD and Buck. I was at the 66 series, game 4 … so, I’ve been a Birds guy for a while also.

• John says:

Interesting – as a boy, I still remember being at the game when Steve Barber and Stu Miller combined on a no hitter loss to Detroit – Barber walked about 10 and was finally yanked w/o giving up a hit. Final was 1-0 Tigers or so I recall.

Look forward to your comments tomorrow,

John

• Zachary Pulverente Zachary Pulverente says:

I knew when I wrote this story I would take some type of backlash. It’s ok. I just believe after two winning seasons, hiring the right people, and not making any questionable decisions lately, it looks as though he is finally taking things seriously. He’s still not my favorite person in the world but I’m giving him the credit he deserves for the recent success. Now, he needs to prove even further that he can make the right decisions and build upon the success in Baltimore.

2. Dave Gruber says:

Good article Zach, I also am not upset at O’s moves, or lack thereof, this off season. I believe with another year experience behind them our players are only going to get better, especially the pitchers. The only thing I’ll say where I might have some disagreement is where you said would you rather the O’s build a contender with small, smart and economical moves or be like the Yankees and just buy whatever we need to contend. Well, let’s see, we’ve been to the playoffs once in the past 16 seasons and the Yanks have only missed the post season twice in the past 19 seasons. That might not be the question you want to ask right about now. I’m not one of those fans that hate the Yanks because they have the money to do that. They wouldn’t be doing what’s right for their fans if they didn’t do that. It is what it is as far as large market teams having the advantage in sports, especially baseball, over smaller market teams. It just makes it that much more fun to beat them.

• Zachary Pulverente Zachary Pulverente says:

Thanks for the read Dave. Hard to come by another Os fan that isn’t bothered by this offseason. And I understand, there is a big difference between small market and big market teams. I don’t think it should be as polarizing as it is in the MLB but that’s a discussion for a different day.