The Towson University football team is playing today in Fresno for the FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) national title. They are going against an incredibly powerful foe in the North Dakota State Bison, who enter with a perfect 14-0 record.
If Towson were to be able to win this game, they could conceivably lay claim to the #1 position in ALL of college football, not just the FCS 125-team collection of NCAA Division 1 programs.
The path is a bit circuitous and requires also an Auburn victory over Florida State in the BCS Championship game on Monday night. It involves connecting the early-season NDSU win over Kansas State with Auburn’s only loss to LSU …
- North Dakota beat Kansas State 24-21 on 8/30
- Kansas State beat Michigan 31-14 in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl
- Michigan beat Minnesota 42-13 on 10/5
- Minnesota beat Nebraska 34-23 on 10/26
- Nebraska beat Georgia in the Gator Ball 34-23 on 1/1
- Georgia beat LSU 44-41 on 9/28
- LSU beat Auburn 35-21 on 9/21
- Auburn is playing for the BCS Championship
So there you have it!
Even if Towson loses and Auburn wins, the Tigers can say they lost to the true #1 team in the USA.
And even if Towson and Auburn lose, the Tigers can say they were beaten by the team that should have been playing Florida State.
(Share this on Facebook by clicking on the symbol above!)