Maryland Men’s Soccer Seeks Fourth National Championship!
Maryland squares off against ACC foe Notre Dame for a shot at its fourth national championship today at 3 p.m. in the 2013 NCAA Men’s Soccer College Cup Championship at PPL Park in Philadelphia.
Watch the game live on ESPNU or ESPN3 and follow the updates from the Maryland men’s soccer Twitter (@MarylandMSoccer) feed here.
The Maryland Terrapins men’s soccer program is one of the top programs in the country and all Maryland fans should be proud of the past and fearless of the future that is looking very bright for the Terps!
Here are a few stats provided by Maryland Athletics that will give you a glimpse of just how strong this Terrapin program is.
• Maryland has eight College Cup appearances in the last 16 years, the most in the country.
• Maryland has advanced to the postseason in 13 straight years. No other school has done so more than five consecutive seasons.
• Maryland has finished in the top 15 in the final NSCAA poll for 11 straight seasons. No other school has done so more than five straight years.
• Every four-year player at Maryland since 1998 has been part of a College Cup team. The 15-year run is the longest active streak in the country. The second-longest is Wake Forest (seven years).
• Men’s soccer has more NCAA titles than all other men’s programs at Maryland combined since 1976.
In all sports with at least 32 schools in its NCAA Tournament
• Maryland has more consecutive appearances in the round-of-16 than any other program in the country with 12. The second-most on that elite list is five.
• No other head coach in the nation has more national championships since 2002 than Sasho Cirovski. He is joined in that elite company by the likes of Jim Calhoun of UConn, Billy Donovan of Florida, and Roy Williams of North Carolina, who have all won two.
Championships Over The Years
Conference Regular Season Champions: 22
Conference Tournament Champions: 6
NCAA National Champions: 3